Using hypnosis in childbirth and during pregnancy is not a new concept. In a way, women have always used it. Nature intended for women to give birth with relative ease. These days however, we seem to have lost the concept of natural childbirth. Which has left us with a loss of confidence, trust and faith in our own body’s ability. Using hypnosis/NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) just makes it easier for you and your birth partner to achieve your goal.
What is hypnobirthing?
Hypnobirthing is a form of antenatal training for childbirth that allows you to have a more natural birth, using four, simple but effective methods.
- Breathing – Breathing techniques help you to relax, keep your womb supplied with oxygen, and help you birth your baby.
- Visualising – Creating positive images in your mind ensures you remain positive about your upcoming birth, reducing any negative thoughts.
- Relaxation – Entering a state of deep relaxation allows you to focus on your body, helps reduce labour pain and lower levels of stress and anxiety.
- Deepening – One of the biggest tricks to hypnobirthing methods is repetition. Your brain needs at least 3 to 5 repetitions in one go to create new neuro links. Beginning this now will help you to change the pictures in your head and deepen the positive ones you already have.
By using these simple techniques, you will be able to let go of any unwanted fears and doubts you may have about your upcoming birth, gain confidence in your body’s ability and reduce your need for pain relief.
What are the benefits of hypnosis in childbirth?
Expectant mothers often have many fears and doubts when they are preparing for childbirth. Using hypnosis in childbirth techniques and entering a state of deep relaxation can alleviate these negative thoughts and give you a more positive perspective about your upcoming birth. Finally, hypnosis helps to strengthen the connection you have with your baby
Can everyone make use of it?
One of the great things about using hypnosis for childbirth is that every expectant mother can use these methods as they are going to help you feel better about yourself, your body and build a strong connection with your baby. You don’t need any special tools or resources, all that’s needed is for you to practise. Daily practise is great and will help you to condition your mind in a positive way.
A few facts and insights
Many women have an intense fear of childbirth. This fear, worry or anxiety of giving birth actually increases the likelihood that you will have problems during the labour and delivery of your child.
Natural birth hypnosis encourages you to use positive language and visualisation techniques throughout your pregnancy to help rid yourself of any negative thoughts and fears you may have.
The one thing in your life that you can really control is your mind. Richard Bandler the co-founder of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) once said:
“If someone went to your home and painted horrible pictures on your walls, you would not just leave them there, would you? No, certainly not. You would paint over them. Why then would you leave negative images, bad ideas and horrible voices in your head?”
A lot of people get trapped within their mind and their beliefs, which is a shame as your beliefs have the power to either trap you or set you free. When you really believe things will go badly, the chances that things will go wrong increase. However when you believe everything will be great, you increase the chance of succeeding. If you believe with every part of you that you can do it, you will find ways to do so. Have you ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy? This is exactly what your belief is about. How you think and act determines the outcome. Happy and successful people have a lot of positive beliefs about themselves.
Let me share some ways that you can use this knowledge for your upcoming birth:
- You deserve to have a joyful, safe and happy birth. This really is both yours and your baby’s birth right.
- Your beliefs limit or expand your world.
- Limitation is a creation of your mind, so let’s work on it.
First of all ask yourself a few questions:
- What do I need to do more of to achieve my goal?
- What do I need to do less of to reach my goal?
- What do I need to stop doing to reach my goal?
- What do I need to begin doing to reach my goal?
Instead of looking at what you can’t do look at what you can do, and transform your view of giving birth into the calm and beautiful way you want it to be.
Why Birth hypnosis really is wonderful
It gives you the benefit of feeling confident, relaxed and calm during pregnancy, labour and delivery. It gives you more choices and the feeling of being in control, no matter what happens.
When you are relaxed your baby will have a better supply of oxygen throughout labour and delivery. Staying relaxed and calm helps the natural flow of hormones before, during and after birth. Also, in case special circumstances do arise, you can use all these techniques to stay calm.
This will help you to achieve the birth you really want.
These relaxation techniques can even be used outside of pregnancy, you are gaining a life skill. Who would not want to learn how to feel confident, calm and relaxed? Relaxation really is a gift to yourself and you are worth it.